The set of test stands in the Laboratory is part of the Micro-Cogeneration Plants and Ecological Boiler Laboratory – L2. The laboratory is equipped with high-quality research devices, which enables precise measurements and analysis of thermal and flow phenomena, analysis of different configurations of thermal cycles and prototype testing.
The lab consists of several demo and research test stands: the prototype test stand of micro CHP ORC unit, stand for testing of microturbines and energy storage integration as well as research stand for various thermodynamic cycles analysis. The laboratory has efficient source of heat in the form of high-temperature oil heater with a capacity of 300kWt and max. temperature of 350°C with the precise temperature control system and the three points of delivery. Heat removal from the test stands is provided by the cooling systems allowing the use or storage of heat for later heating purposes. Laboratory test rigs have the ability to cooperate with infrastructure of solar collectors, heat storage and cold production.
Modern laboratory equipment enables the following scope of research:
- Analysis of heat transfer processes and their dynamics for different types of heat exchangers for power ratings from a few kW to 300kWt
- Research on microturbines working in ORC systems with power up to 50kW.
- Research on cogeneration and trigeneration systems with simultaneous production of electricity, heat and cold.
- Analysis of the possibilities of using waste heat from technological processes and to develop ORC cycle using low temperature heat for electricity production.
- Analysis of thermodynamic cycles with the use of nontypical operating fluids.
- Methods of the energy efficiency improvement of cogeneration and trigeneration systems.
- Development of integrated hybrid systems with the use of ORC, heat storage with PCM and solar collectors.
- Analysis and modeling of cogeneration and trigeneration thermodynamic systems